Grouping refers to how the Resources are organized in Ganttic. It’s possible to group Resources by Data Field values - for example location, department, or resource type. But when looking at a Project in Single Project Views, it’s also possible to Group the Projects' Tasks. Learn how to apply Groupings to your Project’s Gantt charts.
- Grouping is a way to organize Resources and Tasks on the Gantt chart.
- All Owners, Admins and Users with Change View settings rights can use this feature.
- Grouping can be applied to Resources or to Tasks (only in the Tasks mode).
- List or Check type Data Field values may be used for Resource and Task Grouping.
- If Resource Groups are applied, it is possible to track the total load of Resources in each group via Group Utilization Graphs.
- Grouping is User-specific, so the Single Project View will look differently for each User if different Groupings are applied.
- No Grouping is applied by default.
- Grouping can also be applied in Custom Views.
Before You Begin
Ensure that Resource and Task Data Fields are set up and that field values are selected or added for each item. Grouping can be applied using Check or List type Data Field values only.
Grouping in Single Project Views
- Open your Project List via the left Sidebar.
- Select a Project and open it in a Single Project View. Tick the box and click Open or just hit the little window icon on the left of the title.
- The Single Project View will open in a new tab. In its toolbar, click Grouping.
- A list of Grouping options will appear. Choose the desired Grouping option.
- Resource Grouping - affects the resource pool in "Project Resources" and "All Resources" modes.
- Task Grouping - affects the Project’s Tasks' order in the "Tasks" mode.
- No Task Grouping - the Tasks in Tasks mode of the Single Project View will be listed in the order they were added (Custom Order). This is the default setting.
- Task Data - these are Task Data Fields. Only Check and List type Data Field can be used for grouping. Applying any of these options will group Tasks by the selected field's values. Tasks which do not have values added will not appear in the Task list
- Hit Apply to see your Grouping applied temporarily (it will be lost after the next reload or login). Hit Apply and Save to make this option permanent for this Single Project View (can be disabled or changed later).
- See your Resources and Tasks grouped by selected criteria.
NB! Grouping is User-specific, regardless if applied to the View temporarily (Save) or permanently (Apply & Save). The Single Project View will look differently for each User if different Groupings or other View Toolbar features (sorting, filtering, coloring, etc) are applied.
Rearrange Resource Groups' Order
It’s easy to change the order of the Resource Groups.
- Click on the title of a Resource Group.
- This Resource Data Field’s Edit Dialog will open. Hover your cursor over the number next to a Data Field value. It should become a grabbing cursor.
- Drag and drop the values in the desired order.
- Hit Save upon completion
- The order of the groups will be changed accordingly in the View.
NB! Make sure you haven't Sorted Resource Groups by Title. It should be sorted by Custom order. Otherwise, the order of Groups is not displayed as expected.
Create the perfect View for your planning needs. You can also apply other View features like Filtering, Sorting, various Visibility Settings, Coloring options and the default Time Period. Mix and match to find what suits you best!