Project Milestones can be used to mark important dates on your Projects' timelines. In Ganttic, they give a little visual cue indicating that a new phase is starting or a due date is approaching. Discover how to use Project Milestones for better management of your project portfolio.
- Visual Project Milestones can be created via Date type Project Data Fields.
- On the Gantt chart, Milestones appear as diamonds on Projects' timelines.
- Milestones are visible when Resources are Grouped by Projects in Custom Views or in Single Project Views.
Creating a Project Milestone
- Create a new Date type Project Data Field.
- Name the Data Field.
- Check the box, Show as milestone.
- Choose a color for the Milestone. This can be changed later.
NB! This color will apply to all Projects' Milestones using this Data Field. If you’d like to use multiple colors for Milestones, create new Date type Project Data Fields.
- Hit Save.
Add Milestones to Projects
- Open the Project Edit Dialog.
- Find the Data Field being used as the Milestone. Click to select a Date.
- Hit Save when done.
Seeing Project Milestones
There’s 2 places to see these Visual Project Milestones.
In a Single Project View
Open a Single Project View where a Milestone’s date is added. Below the Calendar Headers and above the Gantt chart, the diamond shaped Milestone will be displayed. Hover over it to read the name.
In a Custom View with Resources Grouped by Projects
In a Custom View, Group Resources by Projects. If the visible Time Period overlaps with the Milestone, you’ll see a diamond on the Project’s timeline. Hover over it to read the name.
Milestones in Action
Project Milestones can be used to mark any important date for the Project. Examples may include:
- The start and end of Project.
- The beginning or end of a Project phase.
- A deliverable’s due date.
- The end of a contracted period.
Project Milestones are just one more way to increase efficiency using visual planning techniques. See some more tips for visual planning here.