In Ganttic, Grouping refers to how the Resources are organized on the Gantt chart. It’s possible to group Resources by Projects or by Resource Data Field values - for example location, department, or resource type. Learn how to create and apply Resource Groups to your Custom Views.
- Grouping is a way to organize your Resource pool on the Gantt chart.
- All Owners, Admins and Users with change View settings permissions can Group in Custom Views.
- List or Check type Resource Data Field values may be used for creating Resource Groups. Projects are another way to Group the Resource pool.
- If Project or Resource Groups are applied, it is possible to track the total load of Resources in each group via Group Utilization Graphs.
- Resources' total workload for each date can be seen via Task Utilization Graphs.
- Resources' and Resource Groups' availability counters (total Utilization %, Busy Time or Available Time for visible time period) can be enabled or disabled for each Custom or Single Project View via View Visibility Settings > Resource Availability.
- Grouping is View-specific as each View can have a different grouping option applied. No Grouping is applied by default.
- Resource Groups can be applied for each Custom and Single Project View. It's possible to create unlimited Views with unlimited Grouping options.
Before You Begin
Ensure that Data Fields are set up for the Resources and that field values are selected or added for each item. Grouping can be applied using Check or List type Data Fields.
If you’d like to apply Project-based Grouping in a Custom View, then add Projects and start assigning Resources to Project Tasks.
Resource Grouping in Custom Views
Within each View created, different Grouping can be applied to the Resources visible within the View.
- Open a View. Find your List of Views by clicking the star icon on the left sidebar. Or create a new View.
- In the View’s toolbar, click Resources Grouping.
- A list of grouping options will appear. Choose the desired Grouping option:
- No Resource Grouping - the Resources will be ordered the same way as they are in the Resource List. This is the default. Apply a different sorting option, if needed.
- Projects - Resources will be grouped around the Projects they are assigned to via Tasks. Those without Projects can be found at the bottom of the Gantt chart. Invert it by applying the Z-A sorting option.
- Resource Data - these are Resource Data Fields. Only Check and List type field values can be used for Grouping. Applying any of these options will group Resources by selected field's values.
- Hit Apply to see your Resource Grouping applied temporarily (it will be lost after next reload or login.) Hit Apply and Save to make this grouping option permanent for the View (can be disabled or changed to another option later).
- See your Resources grouped by Projects or selected Data Field's Values.
Tip! In the top left corner of the Gantt chart you can choose to expand or collapse these Groups.
Rearrange Resource Groups' Order
It’s easy to change the order of the Resource Groups.
- Click on the title of a Resource Group.
- This Data Field’s Edit Dialog will open. Hover your cursor over the number next to a Data Field value. It should become a grabbing cursor.
- Drag and drop the values in the desired order.
- Hit Save upon completion.
- The order of the groups will be changed accordingly in the View.
Grouping is the first step to organizing your Gantt chart. If you want to rearrange the order that the Resources and Resources Groups appear, read more in Sorting in Views.
Resource Groups and other View Toolbar parameters (sorting, coloring, filtering, etc) are view-specific. A different Grouping option can be applied in each Custom and Single Project View you create.