If you find yourself copying Projects often, you can also create a Project Template. Creating a Project Template will create an overall layout of a Project’s WBS including its settings and Data Fields - as well as its Task settings and their Data Fields, and the Tasks’ Resources.
- You can create a Template from any existing Project.
- All Owners, Admins and Users with Add/Edit Project permissions are able to create Project Templates.
- The Project Template is independent from the original Project - changes within the Template will not impact the original Project. Nor will any changes to the original Project affect the Template.
- All the Templates you have created appear under the Templates tab on the Project List.
- It is possible to detach the assigned Project Resources while generating the Template. In the newly created Project, these Tasks will appear in the Unassigned Tasks section - you are able to schedule new Resources if needed.
Create a Project Template from an existing Project
- Choose a Project from the Project List and open it in a Single Project View. You can access them via the Projects icon on the Left Sidebar.
- Click on the Save as Template icon. Click OK to confirm in the popup.
- Rename the Template and fill in/add Data Field values. Click on Save upon completion.
- The Project Template is created. Feel free to modify the Tasks or add/delete some extra Tasks, to describe your new Project.
- Once you’re finished preparing the Project Template, you are able to create an independent Project from it by clicking on the Create Project button.
- A new dialog will open. From here, choose the Start Date of the first task of the new Project. By default it's going to be today's date. Once the new Project is created, the time gaps between tasks will remain the same within the new timeline.
- If your original Project has Date type Data Fields, e.g Milestones, end dates, etc. - you can select new dates for them from the calendar picker. They will appear on the new Project’s timeline on selected dates.
- Decide if you want to keep all previously scheduled Resources from the original Project. By ticking Unassign Resources, the Tasks in the new Project will become unassigned.
NB! Find the newly unassigned Tasks in the Unassigned Tasks section of the newly created Project’s Single Project View. From there you can reassign them to new Resources.
- When ready, click Create a Project. The new Project will open in another Single Project View (see the new Tab).
- Rename, change the color, and add Data Field Values as needed. Hit Save when done.
- Reassign any Unassigned Tasks by dragging and dropping to the preferred Resources' timelines below.
- All the Templates are accessible from the right side of the Project List toolbar under the Template Tab
Project templates can help save tons of time when scheduling. See some more hacks that Ganttic clients use for their project scheduling.