Migrating from one tool to another can be quite a chore. To make it a bit easier for you, bulk import Resources, Projects, Tasks, and their Data Field values from a CSV file. You can import all of them separately or together via a single CSV file. In this article you’ll find information for bulk importing all Resource, Task and Project data into Ganttic in one go.
- Only Admins and Owners can use the CSV Data Import option.
- To bulk import data into Ganttic, a CSV Template must be downloaded from Ganttic first.
- To ensure the Template’s column headers are separated, open it via Excel’s File > Import.
- Since Task, Resource and Project CSV Templates can only be downloaded separately, the Template to import all data must be created manually if you want the three imported at the same time.
- All items' Data Field values and Task Utilization can be included on any of these Templates. Data Fields must be created in Ganttic before downloading the Template.
- If a Resource or Project already exists in Ganttic with the title you enter to the CSV template, the data will be overwritten with the data from the import.
- If you import a Task with a title that already exists in Ganttic, a new duplicate Task with the same title will be added.
Before You Begin
The CSV templates are a convenient way to bulk import resources and project data into Ganttic. However, to make the process smoother there’s a couple things to do first.
Add at Least One Resource for Task Import
To import Tasks, you must have created at least one Resource in your Ganttic planner first. This will enable Resources' calendar timelines where the Tasks are being imported to.
Create Data Fields in Ganttic
If you want to import Data Field values, then make sure the fields are created in Ganttic first. If the column title in the CSV Template doesn't match the Data Field title in Ganttic, the import is canceled.
Create Projects in Ganttic
If you want to Bulk import Tasks that are connected to existing Projects, then upload the Projects and Tasks together or add the Projects in Ganttic before downloading the Template.
Downloading a Template
- Click on the + icon at the top left and select Import - found at the bottom of the drop-down list.
- The Data Import section will open.
- In the Build a Template section, choose to download a Task, Resource, or Project Template and add the missing column headers of other Templates manually.
- Choose which additional data columns you’d like the Template to include.
- Once you’ve made your selections, click Download template. A template with the options you have chosen will be downloaded to your computer.
Building the Import Template
Open the Template CSV to fill it with your data. The best way to do this is first opening a new Sheet or Workbook then importing via File > Import. Follow the instructions and your Template will be ready for building.
Import Templates Column Titles
Each import Template can be done separately or manually combined for one comprehensive upload. Here’s the column titles which can be added manually.
- Importing Resource Data - use columns with titles: Res_Title_N
- Importing Project Data - use columns with titles: Project_Title
- Importing Task Data - use columns with titles: Task_Title; Task_Start_Date_Time; Task_End_Date_Time; Task_Util
- Importing Data Fields - use columns with titles: Res_N_Data(Title of the Data Field); Proj_Data(Title of the Data Field); Task_Data(Title of the Data Field)
An example template:
|Meeting||2017-09-11 08:00||2017-09-11 10:00||Finished||100||#78941||Laura||James|
|UI Mockup||2017-09-11 10:00||2017-09-15 16:00||In progress||75||#78941||James|
|Marketing plan||2017-09-11 13:00||2017-09-11 16:00||Finished||50||Jennifer||Laura|
Uploading the CSV File
If you're done filling in your data, save the file in CSV format (with UTF-8 character encoding) (File > Save As > CSV) and head back to Ganttic's Data import section.
- Select the CSV separator. This is the symbol used to separate column headers and all cell values.
- Decide if you need to check the All day tasks option or not. You’ll want it checked if you want to convert your Tasks into full-day ones. The timestamps will then be ignored.
- Select a Time zone if the Tasks about to be imported are scheduled for another time zone.
- Click on Browse to select your CSV file. Make sure it's filled in correctly otherwise the import won't start.
- Click on Import data. Your data will be imported.
In addition to bulk data imports, Ganttic also has options for sending out bulk invites to Users. That way, not only will all your data be in one place, but your whole team will have access.