Discover how to create a new Task in Ganttic and begin booking your Resources. All Tasks can be independent of one another or linked together as Projects. Here we’ll showcase how to get started with Task scheduling.
- All Owners, Admins and Users with Resource Task add/edit rights can add new Tasks.
- Add a new Task by dragging and dropping directly onto the Resource's timeline. Or by using the +icon next to the Resource name. The Task will be automatically assigned to that Resource.
- A new Task can be assigned to multiple Resources at once as a Shared Task.
- Use the Data Import feature to bulk upload multiple Tasks in one go via a CSV file.
- All new Tasks can be standalone bookings or linked together as a Project.
- If you want to block time off for Resources without creating a Task, use the Time Off feature instead.
Adding a Task via Drag and Drop
Open your preferred View via the View List on the left Sidebar. Find it under this icon.
- Move your cursor to where you wish to start the Task on the Resource's timeline.
- Click and drag the cursor to the right until it reaches the end point of the Task. You can edit the exact start and end times later.
- Release the click upon reaching the end-point. The Task Edit Dialog will open.
- In the Task Edit Dialog, give the task a Name. Optionally you can also choose a color for it.
- Edit the Start and the End time if needed.
Click on Save upon completion. It will be assigned to that Resource.
- Tasks can be edited from the Task Edit Dialog once they are saved.
Adding Tasks Using + icon
Click on the + icon on the right of the Resource's name. The Task Edit Dialog will pop up.
- Give the Task a Name. And choose a color if you wish.
- Set the Start and End time or other timing parameters. Click on Save.
- You can add/edit the Data Fields, color, link it to a Project, or anything else later on.
If your new Task is too short or needs to go longer, it’s simple to adjust the length.
- Move your cursor to a handle on either side of the Taskbar.
- A black arrow should appear in place of your cursor. Click, drag and release accordingly.
You can also edit the Start and End date from the Task Edit Dialog that pops up. Click on Save once you are ready.
Tip! Enable the Task Autosave feature via General Settings to skip the Edit Dialog and hit Save. Or click Cancel if you want to disregard the changes.
Link Tasks to a Project
Tasks which revolve around a common goal or strategy can be linked together as Projects. Learn how to quickly organize newly scheduled Tasks by connecting them via Projects.
- Click on a Task.
- In the Task Edit Dialog that opens, click on the Project drop-down field below the Task name.
Choose a pre-existing Project from the drop-down menu. Or link it to a new project by clicking + Add New Project.
- Click on Save once you are ready. The Task is now connected to the Project that you have selected.
- In the View’s Gantt chart, you’ll see the Project’s name on the Taskbar. This can be turned on and off under General Settings > Taskbar.
- Once a new Task is scheduled, you can begin tweaking them. Read on to discover how to edit Tasks. As well as the different Task timing options available for tracking utilization.
- You might also try adding some Task Data Fields to include job statuses, map coordinates, or budgeting information.
- See how to color Tasks with your own color coding system. Or add Task Dependencies to ensure a correct workflow.
- And if you’re short on time, there’s even a way to schedule Tasks to multiple Resources in one go.
- Tasks that are created in this way will be automatically assigned to a Resource. But Unassigned Tasks can also be created.