In Ganttic, you have the option of creating new Tasks, but leaving them unassigned to any Resource. Even if you don’t know what the exact plan is yet, you can rest assured that you’ll have the right capacity to carry it out once you begin resourcing. See how to create Unassigned Tasks and what that means for different scenario planning.
- All Owners, Admins and Users with add/edit Resource Tasks permissions can schedule unassigned Tasks.
- Use Unassigned Tasks in your Custom View of choice or with a Single Project View.
- The visibility of the Unassigned section is optional for Custom Views. Hide the information on the Task Bars, the Tasks themselves, or the entire section.
- In Single Project Views, the actual Tasks in the Unassigned section can be hidden, but the section itself will always be displayed.
Unassigned Task Section
In Ganttic, all scheduled Tasks without Resources are called Unassigned Tasks. Unassigned Tasks reside in the Unassigned section - found at the top of the Gantt Chart in selected Custom Views and all Single Project Views.
The number next to Unassigned in the top indicates the number of Unassigned Tasks in the visible time period.
In Single Project Views the Unassigned section is always visible if Project Resources or All Resources mode is selected.
In other Custom Views, this section needs to be enabled.
Enabling the Unassigned Section
- Open your View List. Select a View. All Views can be found by clicking the star icon in the left Sidebar.
- Once your selected View is open, click the Visibility Settings icon from the View’s toolbar.
- Find the Unassigned tasks section and click on Show unassigned tasks. Click Apply and Save.
- The section now appears on top of the Gantt Chart. Click on the arrow on the left to hide the info on the Task Bars.
Creating New Unassigned Tasks
Unassigned Tasks can be created in the same way as any other Task. Instead of scheduling them directly to a Resource, create them in the Unassigned section. There’s 2 ways to do this:
- Drag and drop the new Task from the start to end date within the Unassigned Section
- Hit the + next to “Unassigned.”
Scheduling Unassigned Tasks
Unassigned Tasks allow you to resource at your convenience. Once you’re ready to assign the Tasks, there’s 2 options.
- Move them via drag and drop from the Unassigned pool to the Resource you want on the Task.
- Click on a Task and then click on the + icon on the right of a Resource you want to schedule the Task to. This also enables you to schedule the Task to multiple Resources at once. Click Save upon completion.
NB! Make sure to deselect the Task from the Unassigned pool if you don't want to leave a copy there. Click the X in the green circle next to the Unassigned Task amount.
Unassigned Tasks are a great option who prefer to make their Project schedules and work breakdown structures (WBS) first, and do their Resourcing later. For some more options on creating a project structure in Ganttic check out our tips from actual use cases.